One Kings Lane banner ad

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Rustic & Refined Dinnerware

Janice Minor Petrified Wood Serving PiecesScrolls and antiquing create easy elegance in this dinnerware service. All pieces are handmade and finish will vary slightly.


Would you combine these two sets on one table? I totally would. I love the various shades of chocolate brown. And that little chunk of cheese on the wooden platter makes me hungry. I can almost smell the spicy string of marigolds on the right.

Incongruity is mysteriously charming. Both of these sets consist of finely crafted pieces (or so the websites claim), but each gives a distinct aesthetic impression. Cabin couture versus tea party trappings. When the two are paired together, what do they mean? What story do they tell about the person who laid the table?

That's the crux of home decor. It's a way to display identity--not only to display it, but to form it. If I use organic bamboo cutlery, then I can think of myself as an Earth-loving minimalist. It isn't necessarily false--consumer habits are easily influenced by political positions. Overall, I think that's a good thing.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.