One Kings Lane banner ad

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Cottages & El Call

House and Garden #illustration digital printStuffed house ornament // cute cottage stuffy // fabric house

// print: $35 // stuffy: $10 //

Cute little houses: my favorite! I would especially like a squishy one for my very own. Maybe I will replicate that personally. After all, I haven't touched the sewing machine in a while...




In keeping with the picture above, I want to move to a not-very-related topic: "The Spanish government recently announced an official fast-track path to citizenship for any individual who is Jewish and whose ancestors were expelled from Spain during the inquisition-related dislocation of Spanish Jews in 1492." Quote from a 2014 study by Joshua Weitz. The rest of the report is about genetics, an interesting subject, but that opening is what truly intrigues me. Spain's apologetic gesture seems to reveal a particular perspective on how a nation becomes home to a certain kind of person. As a pro-multiculture American who was raised in a very diverse part of California, I find it somewhat puzzling that birth would determine one's entitlement to a country. And yet the conventional idea of a home is indeed the space and context into which one was born. Well, I do approve of Spain's deference to the descendants of Jewish communities forced into further diaspora.

El Call (Jewish Quarter) - Barcelona, Spain

The Jewish Quarter in Barcelona; photo by David Berkowitz.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.