One Kings Lane banner ad

Friday, May 9, 2014

Stuffy Old Glamor

The Grand Bedchamber, Chateau Champs-sur-Marne in France. Photo by Amber Maitrejean.

One of the luxurious rooms in Château de Champs-sur-Marne, photographed by Amber Maitrejean. According to Paris Museum Pass, this early-1700s building represents "the archetypal leisure mansion", marked by visits from "famous guests, including Diderot, d'Alembert and even Voltaire." Apparently Marcel Proust also graced the already-graceful residence by residing there.

For a while I had a skinny copy of Voltaire's Candide that I picked up at a library bag sale, but I never did read it. Yeah, I'm an egregious philistine. Most of "the classics" bore me. I've watched at least four screen adaptations of Pride and Prejudice, but I always get bogged down in the first chapter of the book.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.