One Kings Lane banner ad

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Guesthood & Dominion

girl sleeping on couch holding a mirror


I haven't been literally sleeping on a couch, but figuratively I don't quite fit into my accomodations.

Being a guest at someone else's house involves a certain amount of frustrated impulses. I can wash the dishes, but I don't know where to put them afterward. The shower will give me a scalding trickle or a freezing blast, not the sweet Goldilocks level in between.

As I've mentioned, homefeel requires a sense of sameness. In addition to that incorporeal feeling of continuity, homefeel needs confident familiarity. Actually, familiarity is a prerequisite to sameness: how can you know whether something's changed if you're not acquainted with its former state?

The familiarity can't be a shallow kind. After all, you could say that I'm familiar with the place where I'm staying now. I've known my hosts longer than I can remember, since I was toddling around the preschool playground, and I've slept in this specific house countless times (albeit in various rooms). This is definitely a place that I know. But I don't know it enough for it to feel like home.

I can't fully relax here. Maybe that's partially the guest mentality: I don't want to be burdensome or annoying. I can't arrange things just how I like them, because then my presence would be disruptive. I can't decide which drawer ought to hold the silverware.

What's funny is that I might feel more able to flop around and assert my character in a hotel room. Although that's a rented domain, it is MY kingdom for a night. I don't mean that I'd drag the furniture around, switching the desk and the bed, or trash the bland wall-hanging. A hotel is too temporary for me to care enough. Rather than an active impulse, occupying a hotel room confers a tacit feeling of ownership, of personal power.

Anyway, that's enough musing. Here's the perspective of the host rather than the guest...

Sleeping on the couch


pink heart GO AWAY patch on denim

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.