One Kings Lane banner ad

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Candy Pink Fence

pastel pink fence with baby blue and sunny yellow trim

Forgive the atrocious photo-quality, but I can't refrain from posting a pastel fence.

Pastels are the colors we associate with nurseries--they don't call it "baby blue" for nothing! Whereas a fence is a harsh legal structure that separates sovereign territories. It tickles my fancy to see this boundary-marker made out of bubblegum pink boards.

The house it belongs to has been a neighborhood "eyesore" for years. The entire exterior was painted bright orange. Seriously, bright orange. And this was prior to Orange is the New Black, so a vermilion house wasn't fashionable in the least. Eventually the place changed hands, and the new owners made it look normal--but I guess they have yet to address the fence. I hope pastel-obliteration is far down on their to-do list...

I hate neighborhoods where every house is beige, even if there's some off-white trim to jazz things up. ("Get jazzy on me!") I love suburbia, but only when each block features some variation, the houses differing from one another as much as the families inside. My own 'hood displays a decent spread of styles, but the Bay Area has plenty of cookie-cutter developments.

Therefore, I celebrate pastel fences when I see 'em.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.