One Kings Lane banner ad

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Homefeel History

end table with glass top, Japanese floral paper, golden wood

This used to be my father's bedside table. My mom decided it would be better as an end table, and moved it next to our couch. She did not consult my father beforehand. (!!!)

end table with glass top, Japanese floral paper, golden wood end table with glass top, Japanese floral paper, golden wood

Dad was pretty indignant about it. Eventually he said in a mournful tone, "I need time to get used to changes in my environment." Here's the replacement that my mother installed:

cluttered bedside table cluttered bedside table

The mysterious machine with the tubes is a CPAP mask for his sleep apnea.

My father's comment got me thinking. Homefeel definitely requires a certain sameness, an endurance of expected arrangements and experiences. It's not that a home can't be dynamic, but it has to have continuing principles, especially sensory ones. The smell of cookies baking is a classic one. Nostalgia doesn't develop without loss--the childhood bedroom emptied out, or turned into a craft studio--and the homefeel that must precede nostalgia can't develop without visceral percolation. I wouldn't love my routines if I didn't feel the history of them stretching behind me, didn't worry that my imprint was fading. (Mixed metaphors, alas.)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.