One Kings Lane banner ad

Friday, March 28, 2014

First Chapters

I've started reading A History of Architecture: Settings and Rituals by Spiro Kostof. The introduction talks about ways to approach the study of buildings. Kostof advocates for a holistic understanding of architecture, one that attempts to encompass everything from function to adornment to the oft-referenced "ravages of time". (Oft-referenced in general, not by Kostof.) I appreciate his attitude. The idea that buildings and the manners in which we occupy them can elucidate aspects of human nature far beyond the walls themselves is what prompted me to create this blog. While Kostof tackles a survey of structures from the time before writing until the time of his writing, I am engaging in a haphazard indulgence of curiosity. That's okay. My vague hope is that Dwelling Process will become something meaningful, at least meaningful to me, if I keep trying.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.