One Kings Lane banner ad

Friday, March 7, 2014

Rook & Mortar(s)

09 Block House

Illustration by Kenny Cole, found via Flickr. The top-heavy structure reminds me of a castle battlement:



// Nenagh Castle // Flannery Clan //

To put this in context, here's a quote from Kenny Cole's self-description:

"Coming of age in the late 70's in a post Vietnam world I began my art career believing that we would never fight a war again thanks to the activism of the 60's. I was one of the men born between '57, and '59, who were completely exempt from Selective Service registration. The aerial bombardment of Iraq in 1991 took me by surprise and began, for me, a gradual realization that my complacency must end."

I'm astounded that anyone could be so naive. To be fair, my youth coincides with the "War on Terror" after 9/11, naturally engendering a certain cynicism. But like. . . wasn't the Cold War kind of a big deal? Regardless, I find the artist's work powerful. Here's another piece, Green Cake:

Green Cake

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.